But it kept occurring...that annoying little thought. Don't you have enough clothes? Maybe it's only $20 or $30 here or there, but what could you use that money for to help someone else or further my kingdom? Oh geez...why did I order that burrito - or is this really God calling me to change? So then it happened - the
There is nothing I love more on this earth than my Busch boys. God has blessed me with an amazing husband Josh, an adventurous little Landon, and now my sweet baby Brody. Life may not always be easy with the boys, but it sure is full of crazy adventures and fun! Welcome to my life of loving the Busch boys...
Friday, May 20, 2011
Confessions of a Clothesaholic...
Hi, I'm Erin, and I'm a clothesaholic. And an accessory junkie, and why we're at it - a shoe lover as well! I guess it started in high school when I began spending my paychecks on cute outfits. I mean not my whole paycheck...but I liked the new clothes, the way I felt, and I would receive positive comments, so the cycle began and then continued. I bought clothes, and accessories, and sometimes shoes. However, I recently had a moment of insanity realization that clothes are a weakness for me. After some sermons at church about materialism and being thankful for what we have - I was looking at my life and trying to see if there was anything God was calling me to change. Of course my initial response was I'm good - nothing to worry about here. I mean I am not a superficial person, I help others, find bargains and make good use of the blessings God gives me so what would I possibly need to change? And then I got this little nagging thought - what about your clothes? and then another one - jewelry? shoes? Aw, maybe I just had some Mexican and was having some issues digesting - I mean God wouldn't really want me to give up my passion. And besides - I only buy stuff on sale, every once in a while - and only if I really like it...I mean what's the harm in that? God wants me to be happy right?
But it kept occurring...that annoying little thought. Don't you have enough clothes? Maybe it's only $20 or $30 here or there, but what could you use that money for to help someone else or further my kingdom? Oh geez...why did I order that burrito - or is this really God calling me to change? So then it happened - thedumbest unselfish decision to not buy any clothes, accessories, or shoes for one year! A year! Really?!? What the heck was I thinking? A year...that's a long time! And not just clothes, but accessories! How's a girl supposed to live? Especially one that loves clothes and accessories! Yet, here I am 6 months later - and not once have I bought clothes, shoes, or even just a tiny little accesory to liven up my now all too familiar wardrobe. Not only that, but I have 4 gift cards - had them since Christmas - and I have not spent them. Nope! Just sitting in my wallet...waiting. (Sigh) Not to mention some AMAZING deals I have passed up - cute stuff - close to free stuff, but nope - I had to listen to God. Sometimes I hate that voice - that voice of pure wisdom, and reason, that eternal outlook - why not just enjoy today? But, that's not why I am here - that's not what I am supposed to do. And he blesses me for it, even when I don't willingly listen and drag my feet. And since he already knows everything, I need to confess to you all that I did cheat - once. At a yard sale. I have never bought myself clothes at a yard sale. But here I was salivating...I was like a junkie- and my drug of choice was a shirt - an adorable shirt - for a $1. A dollar! No harm in that right?!? So I bought it. But then realized this is maybe why I felt God calling me to do this. Clothes do not define me- even the cutest, perfectly fit shirt. With accessories that pop! Nope, through this God is teaching me to think about others, the little things, and not focus on myself and my appearance. My outfit might not be perfect, but my heart is hopefully changing which will make my look better than any outfit ever could. You ever met one of those people that just shine? Like you can just tell they love the Lord and he's their passion. Well that's my prayer, that people won't look at my stuff - the clothes, accessories, and shoes, but they will see God in me. A passion and love for him. So what do you need to change? What is God calling you to do? It may not be easy - might even be painful, but He will make you stronger and better in the process! In the meantime pray for me and the next six months!! And feel free to buy me a shirt or accessory :) I mean...I didn't feel called to deny a gift from those I love!
But it kept occurring...that annoying little thought. Don't you have enough clothes? Maybe it's only $20 or $30 here or there, but what could you use that money for to help someone else or further my kingdom? Oh geez...why did I order that burrito - or is this really God calling me to change? So then it happened - the
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your honesty Erin! You could write a book and I'd probably buy it, you have such a way of writing that keeps me tuned it.
ReplyDeleteI am so amazed and inspired by you! One shirt in six months--that is amazing, you have such discipline!
ReplyDeleteYou really could make a writing career; you are really great at it!