Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fork in the Road

Today was one of those roller coaster days in my world of parenting.  The morning started off great - family all together, yummy homemade egg skillets for breakfast, and a B-E-A-Utiful day.  Not wanting to miss the sunshine - we decided to run a couple errands and go to the park.  Free stuff at Walgreens and CVS (mommy's happy) and off to the park to make the boys happy - or so we thought.  We put Brody into his stroller and he is happily taking in the outdoors.  So far so good.  Well, then we put Landon on his bike to ride along the trail.  3 year old + park + riding bike on a beautiful day = great experience...in a perfect world yes; but in the world of Landon not so much.  We turn right - mawwum (in his best whine voice) I wanted to go left.  You are going the wrong way.  It's fine buddy, it's goes in a circle we'll get there eventually.  3 seconds later, but I wanted to go that way.  C'mon it's fine.  This road is too bumpy.  I ignore.  You are walking too fast.  I slow down.  I can't ride my bike.  But you are riding right now I tell him encouragingly. :) Still optimistic this will be a good day.  I can't mom.  This part is too hard.  You can do it buddy, and I give him a little push.  DO NOT PUSH ME MOM (in a horrible, nasty voice that I thought only came out during puberty)  Time out.  You don't talk to mom like that.  Three minutes later.  Riding along again.  I don't want to go on this trail.  Throws his bike down and stomps the other way.  Landon get on your bike and ride to the playground.  Crying and screaming at me - I do not want to ride my bike.  Okay then Landon - we are going home.  Crying volume increases - I don't want to go home.  Then you act like a big boy and ride your bike to the playground.  Nooooo!  Okay then we are going home.  He continues crying hysterically all the way to the car.  At this point I am so frustrated and worn out.  Now mind you this all happened in about a 50 foot area on the track in about 30 minutes - 5 minutes of actual riding.  And also I would like to say that I try to be very consistent with Landon - I don't give in and don't let him win these type of battles although he tries and tries. So I am just frustrated!  Why does he act like this?  He is so blessed to have a beautiful day, a family that loves him, and a bike to ride - yet all he does is complain!  We get in the car and start heading home and I just feel defeated.  On the verge of tears of frustration I think Why?  What am I doing wrong?  How is it that I have a teaching degree, am blessed with a God-given talent for children and I can't get my own to cooperate?  Why does my child act like this when I don't spoil him and let him win?   And then I am at that fork in the road.  I can just be mad and frustrated and let it ruin the day, or I can pray and let God have it.  Well unfortunately I too often choose the first, but today I just let God know how I feel.  I just let him know my frustration - or rather tell him what he already knew.  And then an amazing thing happened...he gave me wisdom in the situation.  I got Landon to calm down and apologize to us for the way he acted.  We talked the rest of the car ride about the choices we make and consequences.  We talked about being thankful and not complaining.  And then I told him he was lucky.  You are lucky because today you get a second chance - and an opportunity to do the right thing.  You should take advantage of it, because we don't always get second chances and when we do we better take advantage of them!  When we get home we are going to go for a short walk around the neighborhood, and I want you to ride your bike.  I want you to ride without crying and complaining.  I want you to just have fun and be thankful for this day.  Deal?  Deal mom!  Okay here we go...and thank God our ride was so pleasant, full of much needed smiles and sunshine. 
So thanks God for answering my prayer!  Thank you for helping me remember that when we want to give up as parents that when we have to fight and take advantage of those life lessons!  So I hope Landon learned something today, but if not, I sure did!

2 comments:

  1. How did you get so much wisdom? What an amazing mother you are! I love you and am so proud of you and how you have learned the key to parenting is trusting in God and his direction. You can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Erin! this was exactly what I needed to hear today. We've started these meltdowns with Olivia over the silliest little things (like turing right instead of left) and I've been struggling with the same things. Thanks for sharing! You really dont know how encouraging this post was for me :)

    ReplyDelete